Kassiah

Kassiah

Without You

Without You - Brooklyn Skye 4 stars.

This review also appears on Steamy Guys After Dark.

Right from the beginning, I was drawn into the story of Without You--and not just because the opening scene takes place in a locker room. College student Torrin Kingsley is dealing with so many things--he's captain of the rowing team and his coach is expecting 200% from him and he's just been granted the internship of a lifetime, following and studying under a world-renowned photographer. He's not sure what he wants to do with his life, but one thing he's sure of is how much he loves his girlfriend, Quinn.
Quinn stands, straightening her dress, and suddenly my body lets loose the tumor of tension it's been holding all day. Her presence does that, quiets the hurricane inside me with a wash of tranquility.

Even though the internship would open doors for him and is truly a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, he feels that he can't leave Quinn. When he tells her that, she's not having it.
"You're missing out on a great opportunity. And for what? me? I don't think so. I refuse to be the reason."

This was a really quick read, and I was surprised by the how much story Skye was able to tell here. I haven't read anything else she's written, including Stripped, the first book in this series. Even though I'm sure I missed out on a lot since I didn't read that (which I promise I'm going to read ASAP), I never felt lost or that I didn't understand what was going on.

I really liked this story, and I especially loved Torrin. I loved his thoughts and the methodical way he thought everything through. I loved the words he used to describe things. And I loved that he's so hot.
Maybe she's thinking about last night, too. Those nails scraping over my skin, her lips exploring every inch of my chest, the sound of my name as she begged me not to stop.

And he's sweet.
"You said yourself couples do this all the time. That we're stronger than them..."

"But do you believe that?"

Eyes fixed firmly to hers, I answer as truthfully as I can. "With every cell in my body."

There were a few things that I didn't like. One of those was Quinn's loyalty to her art teacher, which I'm guessing was explained in the first book. Torrin also does something totally stupid that doesn't seem to phase Quinn at all when he tells her about it. I won't spoil any more, but I had to mention them since my rating would have been higher if all of the loose ends were tied up.

I loved the way this story ended, and I hope that there is more planned for this couple. I'm also hoping for more about Torrin's friend, Andrew, as he was one of my favorite characters. Like I said, this was my first time reading Brooklyn Skye's work but it certainly won't be the last. Love.