Kassiah

Kassiah

Drawn Together (A Brown Family Novel)

Drawn Together - Lauren Dane 3 stars. Or 3-1/2. Or 2-1/2. idk.

This review also appears on Steamy Guys After Dark and includes an interview with author Lauren Dane.

Drawn Together is the first book that I've read by Lauren Dane, but it definitely won't be the last.

Tattoo artist Raven Smith has a strict no-relationships (and no monogamy) rule when she meets her match in dominant attorney Jonah Warner.
Jonah Warner was beyond hot. He was on-fire sexy. Like panties on fire. Raven looked him over, imagining him naked. Imagining him over her, under her, whatever.

Their connection is instantaneous and smoking hot--they can't deny their chemistry, even though neither of them ever envisioned being with someone like the other.
"Everyone has a story." She pulled a big pad out. "Here are some of the designs I worked up for you."

"I'd rather hear your story."

She sent him a raised brow and he liked it. A lot.

"Fine. But as you noted, I don't like being told no." Her smile sent a shiver through him.

"You'll get used to it." He took her hand, turning it to press a kiss at her wrist. She smelled good. Warm. He liked the pleased surprise on her face and the indrawn breath.

"Or maybe you could get used to telling me yes."

Throughout the story, Raven comes to grips with her past and lets Jonah in little by little. He wants her to be his and makes no qualms about it.
"It's not marriage. It's monogamy. You can do it. You're the girl who came out to L.A. at seventeen and made herself a life. You sure as hell can fuck me and only me. Unless...well, I'd say something like unless you're not really into this thing between us. but that would be a lie. Because I know you are. I can see it in your features. I can feel it around my cock when I'm inside you. You're not a liar, Raven, and neither am I. I won't let you be."

As their relationship progresses, Raven gives in to her feelings for Jonah more and more and realizes that letting go can be not only a good thing, but the best thing ever.
"So Jonah Warner."

"Yeah. Unexpected, huh?"

"I dunno. You tell me."

She nodded. "He is. I have rules, Brody. Lots of them. He makes me break them. Left and right."

There's some family drama on both sides, but it all felt really authentic to me. Jonah is a single dad, and I loved that part of him. I liked this story a lot--there are funny moments and touching moments and my rob, some really hot stuff, too. Jonah also says some pretty swoony things.
"I want to dance with you with the breeze in yoru hair and my hands on your bare skin."

Even though I jumped in at the end of the Brown Siblings Series, I didn't feel lost at all and this book can totally stand on its own. One of the things that I didn't like about this book was Raven's seemingly quick acquiesence to what Jonah wanted. I definitely think that if I had read the other books in this series, I would not feel this way and would have more fully understood how far she's come to get to where she's at in Drawn Together.

Something else that I didn't like was the D/s stuff. That's not really my thing, though I don't mind it. I was just surprised that Jonah and Raven didn't have any kind of conversation about what was going to happen. I do admit that my experience with that is limited, so I might have an unrealistic expectation. Though hot with chemistry off-the-charts, I felt at times that their interactions were described with clinical assessment rather than passion and heat.
"I want you to ride my cock awhile," he spoke, lips against her neck.

"And then, because I've wanted it for a while, you're going to suck me off."

There were some technical words that I didn't love and some motivations that I didn't understand.

With that being said, I did really like this story and will definitely be checking out the other books in this series. Lauren Dane is a great story-teller. The characters, the feelings, the emotions--they're all real, and I can't wait to get to know more of them.