Kassiah

Kassiah

Spring Training: A Game On Novel

Spring Training - Parker Kincade 2-1/2 stars.

This review also appears on Fictionators.

I love stories featuring sports-centric romances, and Spring Training was pretty good. Jessa Montgomery's father owns the New York Empires baseball team and sends her to "look after" his new star player, Garrett Donovan. Working at her father's company for as long as she can remember and totally loving baseball, she's used to being a tomboy and isn't looking for a relationship, making the fact that her father has forbidden her from ever hooking up with one of his players a-okay with her. All of that changes the first time she lays eyes on Garrett:
Tall and lean, with muscles that strained his practice uniform, Garrett Donovan was gorgeous. Sandy blond curls met the back of his collar, the mass of hair she'd seen in photos contained by the cap on his head. Crystal blue eyes gleamed against tanned skin as his lips turned up into the sexiest grin Jessa had ever witnessed.

Their connection is instantaneous and despite the fact that his job could be in jeopardy and his reputation ruined if they're found out, they find it hard to stay away from each other. They get off to a rocky start.
"Now, you're about to give me all the reasons why last night was a mistake. You'll rationalize, throw my job and your father at me. Then, you'll tell me it can't ever happen again. I'd be surprised if you didn't try to give me the 'let's be friends' bit. I get it. Hell, I'll probably even agree with you." His eyes turned dark, his voice strained. "And then you'll expect me to forget how you burned in my arms and that I'm so hard for you right now I can't see straight. So, yeah, Jessa, I'm a little fuckin' testy."

I really liked these two, especially Garrett. He says some pretty hot things:
"You taste so sweet, so warm and inviting. I could spend all night kissing you, Jess. Your lips are so full and pretty. Red and swollen from my kisses. Do you have any idea what that does to me? Damn, I can't wait to see those lips wrapped around my cock."

and...
"Climb on, princess. Ride me. Take us where we need to go."

and...
"Suck it, baby. Take me in that hot little mouth."

For as many things that he said that I thought was hot, there were a lot of words that she used that I really didn't like, which made me rate this one less. Words like: vagina, pulsating pussy, cream flowing from her body, weeping (as in, her pussy--ew!), pumping womb, and the dreaded m-word. It just pulled me out of the story, to be honest.

After spending several days (and nights) together, they realize that they have real feelings for each other, but neither of them knows how to work it out. They get plenty of warnings from their friends, including Tyler, another ball player that Garrett went to college with.

Things take a bit of a dramatic turn toward the end, but I really didn't get it. Another thing that I don't love is all of the Twilight references. She smells like strawberries, the characters' names, one of them swears on all that is holy, and then there's this:
"What are you? Some kind of adrenaline junkie?"

LOL.

Still, I thought it was hot and I liked it. Though I didn't think that the problem they had actually made sense and the "big reveal" felt pretty anti-climactic, I liked this story, the characters, and their chemistry, and I loved the way it ended. I'll be giving Kincade's other books a try, and I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the series, especially if it's about Tyler.