Kassiah

Kassiah

Silver (A Bandia Novel)

Silver - Talia Vance *sigh* I think 2-1/2 stars. But I reserve the right to change this the more I think about it. I really want to say that the idea was good, but I didn't like the execution very much. Check out Christina's review because she loved the book and said some awesome things about it.

This story begins with math geek Brianna finding out that she is a descendent of a powerful witch. For reasons that I will not spoil, she has been almost "invisible" to the opposite sex. Of course, she's been pining for Blake, the most beautiful, most popular boy in school, but he has never paid any attention to her. Something happens that causes Blake to take notice and suddenly the pair are swept up in something that neither of them are prepared for.

Along the way, we get to know Brianna's friends, who I honestly wish had died, and some of her classmates. There's a lot going on in this story, and I think that Brianna's reactions half of the time are spot on for a typical teenager dealing with all of it.

I have some serious issues with this story though, including how much I want to wring Blake's neck for being such an insensitive jackass. He said and did some swoony things, but his meanness overrode them. I also want to slap some sense into Brianna for her reaction to basically everything about him. The hot and cold and arguing and "I hate you but I'll fuck you anyway" really got on my nerves. Throw in her friends, and I wonder why I was supposed to root for this girl.

With that being said, I feel like I should let you know that I think Talia Vance is a good writer. Though I know very little about mythology in general and pretty much nothing about Celtic mythology, I felt like she explained things and didn't leave me questioning every second of what was going on with that. She was definitely spot on with how it feels to be ignored. I think Brianna could have been a total kick-ass character. At times, she exuded strength and determination, but ultimately I feel like she was just another vapid excuse for a non-hero. I don't know. Maybe I'll feel differently when I read Gold. I do want to know what happens next, which I guess means I didn't not like it as much as I thought.