Kassiah

Kassiah

Tris & Izzie

Tris & Izzie - Mette Ivie Harrison Know how your mom told you that "you can't judge a book by its cover"? That's exactly the way I feel about Tris and Izzie. You've seen the cover, right? It's beautiful. I just think that it would be even better if the cover had something to do with the contents of the book.

Maybe that's just me.

Enough about the cover--I guess I should tell you what I thought of the book. First of all, if I could give this zero stars, I would. I found it to be incoherent at best, not to mention condescending. I would have flounced well before page 63, but I wanted to believe that there would be something--anything--that I found redeemable about the characters or the ill-contrived plot.

Don't get me wrong--I'm sure Mette Ivie Harrison is a lovely person, and judging by all of the wonderful reviews she's gotten for her previous works, she must be a good writer. So I don't know what the hell happened with this book.

Like Anna said in her review, I feel "I was genuinely offended on behalf of myself and every person who is, was, or will be a teen girl." Is this book really representative of what readers (and by extension, the general population) think about the inner musings of teenage girls? That they are all vapid, shallow self-centered people, focused solely on their attire and who their boyfriend is? I'm not kidding--I'm shocked at the acceptance of this notion. It's disgusting, to be honest, and I seriously want to talk to all of the people who gave this book five stars. Maybe they could point out the epic love story and amazingness that I totally missed.

Isolde was hot and cold, fickle-minded, and downright shallow. Her thought process wasn't even as developed as the average ten year old. She had such potential to be someone and do something--yet, she always had her attire or the way her butt looked in her shorts to allow us any connection to her character. She whined. She blamed everyone else for everything that was happening to her. Her fight with her best friend was epically stupid, and she had almost no reaction whatsoever to the prospect of almost losing her. The other characters fell flat for me, except perhaps the giant. Tristan was weak and cold and their relationship seemed forced--literally.

In case you think that I couldn't find anything--not one little thing--to point out that I liked about this book, well, you're almost right. But there was one part of dialogue that I enjoyed:

"Do you burn for me?"

"A volcano."

That's all I've got, folks. It depresses me that I wasted my time reading this, and really, I hope you won't make the same mistake.