Kassiah

Kassiah

Incarnate

Incarnate - Jodi Meadows 4-1/2 stars. But I'm rounding up because of Sam. And the dancing.

I've been sitting on this review a long time, in part, because I just didn't know what to say. I've had a really hard time expressing how much I want you to read this; how swoony Sam is; how I flailed with every word he said to her.

Then I really thought about it and realized that that is why I love this book. The swoon. Sam is so swoony--he gets all the stars. Not Ana, though I liked her, and not the incomplete feeling I got when I finished reading.

So what's this book about? For the past 5,000 years, there have been exactly one million people in Range, and they have been reincarnated over and over again. The cool thing about that is when they are reborn, they remember their pasts (as soon as they are mentally mature enough), including who they are (or were) and any skills they acquired.

Something happens when Ana is born, though. When they touch the newborn baby's palm to the scanner that identifies who she's coming back as, there's nothing in the system to match her to a past soul. She's a newsoul, and most of the people in their community feel an immediate loss for the girl that she should have come back as. Her father takes off, and her mother moves them into the woods, ostracized and mad.

Ana lives cut off from most of society until she's old enough to strike out on her own, bound for the city of Heart to look for information about other people like her. On her way there, she encounters horrors in the woods. She also encounters Sam. And he's nothing short of awesome.

They form a relationship, and he helps her get to the city. He helps her search for her past. He stands up to her evil mother for her. There's so much mystery here--and that's where I don't love the book. I love all of the potential--there are just SO many things that can happen. And I realize that this is a trilogy, so the story has to be drawn out some, but I felt like this book was pretty much about Ana coming to terms with who she is and the way that Sam feels about her. We didn't really learn anything that she set out to discover, and actually I felt like I had more questions at the beginning than at the end.

With that being said, the story is wonderful. It's so imaginative. And the words Meadows uses--wow. For me, the swoon makes up for the lack of answers. Sam is enough. I definitely can't wait to see what happens with the rest of the series, and I hope you'll check this one out.