Kassiah

Kassiah

Going Vintage

Going Vintage - Lindsey Leavitt 4 stars

I really loved this story!

Mallory has been with her boyfriend, Jeremy, for over a year when she discovers that he has been having a "cyber-relationship" with another girl through a popular social networking site. She's crushed and after finding a list written by her beloved grandmother when she was a teenager in the 60s, Mallory decides to "go vintage," staving off all forms of technology and completing the things on the list herself. It's harder than she thinks, but worth it when she learns more about herself (and others in her life) than she expected in the process.

One of the things that I loved the most about this book was the characters. Mallory was adorable and relatable. She was authentic and dealt with real-teenagery vulnerability. The process and growth that she went through as a character was refreshing. I loved Mallory's sister, Ginnie, and definitely would want that girl in my corner. And don't get me started on sweet, swoony Oliver: ex-boyfriend Jeremy's cousin. Oliver's "hipster hot" with black rimmed glasses and an affinity for indie music. *swoon*

Though loved the pacing of this story and how quick it played out, I felt like there were some parts that were unnecessary, namely the storyline with the grandmother that I will not spoil. I did not think that was necessary for Mallory to reach the self-conclusions that she reached. The stuff with her mom didn't have any closure, either.

With that being said, I really did love the characters and the story and I'm claiming Oliver right now :)