Kassiah

Kassiah

Spark: A Sky Chasers Novel

Spark - Amy Kathleen Ryan 3-1/2 stars

I have a more in-depth review with quotes and links to extra stuffs over at the Fictionators.

If you haven't read Glow, don't read this review.

Right from the very beginning of Spark, Amy Kathleen Ryan continues the heart-pounding action found in Glow. Basically no time has passed--Seth is in the brig, Waverly's back on the Empyrean, and Kieran's still in charge. The story picks up with an unexplained rumbling sound and Seth being freed from the brig by an unknown (even to him) accomplice. No one knows how he escaped, but one thing is clear--it wasn't without someone's help.

Thus begins the adventure and attempt at solving the mysteries aboard the ship. There are new problems, which I don't want to spoil, and they are still in pursuit of the New Horizon in order to rescue their parents. I didn't see what happens with them coming, and I loved the unpredictability of it.

I don't know what else to say about what happens without giving too much (or everything) away. I liked this book more than Glow and found myself understanding everyone's motives more than before. I especially felt more sympathetic toward Seth, who I came to like, respect, and even root for.

What I liked: I enjoyed the story and the way the plot progressed. It was fast-paced and realistic. Kieran's transformation into the person he seems to have become makes total sense to me, even if I don't love what's going on with him. The way the other children regarded Waverly was authentic, too, and I am impressed with Ryan for not giving her the easy way out.

Even if sci-fi isn't your thing, I think you'll like this. I also really appreciated that the romantic aspect was so secondary. Sure, the characters are led by their hearts to an extent, but they didn't let that rule every decision that they made. This time around, I felt like I understood Waverly's attraction to Seth, and without a doubt I got his reluctance to be with her. Not gonna lie, I totally *fistpumped* close to the end.

What I didn't like: Though the story presented in this book played out well and came to a natural arc, I don't feel like we got very far in the entire Sky Chasers series. I might feel differently when the final book comes out, but I don't see how it's going to wrap up in just one more book. I would have liked to have found out more about the histories of the ships and their missions.

I didn't love how much of a jerk Kieran has turned out to be, but that's not really a complaint. It totally makes sense for his character, and I completely understand that he thinks he's doing the best he can. I just...pretty much hate him.

Also, I think the text in the hardcover edition is kinda small. But that could be because I'm practically blind lol

Overall, I really liked this story. Whether you loved Glow or not, give Spark a chance. Though it's complicated, it was a quick read, and I can't wait to read the next one!