Kassiah

Kassiah

Dreaming Awake

Dreaming Awake - Gwen Hayes I've been thinking about what to say about this book for a long time. I want to start off by saying that I know that it's hard to write the middle book of a series. Wait--I don't know that. I know that typically, the middle book seems to be the hardest. It seems to be the hardest for writers, and it's certainly the hardest for readers. Maybe that's because authors want us readers to get from point A to point C, but going through point B is just too damned hard to explain. Or maybe there never was a point B, but they have to drag it out so we get to a point C, and...yeah.

Maybe I'm just crazy.

I guess I said all of that to say, that I can't really see where this story is headed, and after reading this, I'm really, really hoping that Hayes knows how we're getting there.

So, things I liked. I felt like Theia was stronger. I liked her character more. I liked her standing up for herself and trying to protect her friends and father. I like that so much of the story was explained, and that we got so much more about Under and how things work. I loved the flowers. A lot.

I did not like the almost non-existent swoon. Reading this makes it hard to remember that Haden and Theia are supposed to be desperately in love. I mentioned in my review of Falling Under that the Twilight references were annoying. Multiply that times a hundred and you'll get a glimpse of how I feel here. There's too many. Sometimes, I wanted to rage and throw my Kindle. Write your book without bringing Edward and Bella into it (and for the love of God, please leave Reneesme out!).

Something else that I didn't like was the multiple POVs. I get it, and sort of understand why Hayes thought it might be a good idea. I just don't care enough about the others to delve into their minds, and I think all of the information we got could have been given to us in another way. Oddly enough, I felt like we didn't get enough of the POV that I wanted--and that was Haden. I also didn't like that their struggle to be together seems forced. She wants to be in Under, and he's the rightful heir to Under. It doesn't make sense to me, at all, that they can't be together there. I want more of him.

Overall, I liked the story and am looking forward to the conclusion. I just want more of the characters we love in it.