Kassiah

Kassiah

Shatter Me

Shatter Me - Tahereh Mafi I think I'd really give this 3-1/2 stars, but I'm rounding up :)

I should probably start off by saying that I'm totally Team Warner. I know this will make some of you *cough*Meg*cough* hate me a little, but I can't help it. He's so hot. And he's swoony.
"I'll be so good to you," he whispers. "I'll be so good to you, Juliette. I promise."

I die.

Don't get me wrong, Adam Kent is totally swoonworthy too. And the things that boy says could make even my mother melt into a pile of goo. But there's just something about Warner...

Anyway, about the story. You already know all about that, but in case you want my take on it: Juliette is a 17 girl with a power an ability to kill people with her touch. She's basically been imprisoned for almost the last year, and for a few years before that, she had been tested and observed to find out what's wrong with her. I'm not going to tell you how Adam (or Warner) fit into her life because that would be too spoilery, but they do, and over the course of the story, Juliette learns more about her powers and more about what the world wants from her.

The prose that Mafi writes is amazing. No one would ever say that the girl can't turn a phrase. The main problem that I had with this book was that it was too much. Like this:
Heat rushes up my neck and I fall off a ladder holding a paintbrush dipped in red.

There were too many strike-throughs, too much repetition, too much extra stuff. I felt like it went on a little too much.

Also, I felt like the end was a little too wrapped up in a neat little bow. Like other reviewers have said, a little X-men-esque for me. Oh and the cover: she's not in a pageant. I much prefer the plainness of the arc that I have. *shrugs*

The story is compelling and I definitely want to read the next one, but I didn't love it, and I borderline don't like Juliette.

Fortunately for me, Adam and Warner make up for all of that.