Kassiah

Kassiah

Hallowed: An Unearthly Novel

Hallowed - Cynthia Hand Spoilerish. Just because I don't mention it doesn't mean it's not there. I tried to keep the spoilerishness to a minimum, so here goes.

If you knew how much time I've spent thinking about how to write this review...well, let's just say you'd be surprised. And you'd tell me to get a life. And when you read this review, you're going to roll your eyes and say, "That's it?"

And then you'll know how I feel: That's it?

You know I *LOVED* Unearthly. There is only one book that I wanted more than this one, and I was downright giddy when I got the arc. I dropped everything to read, and I know how it feels--you want answers. You want to know that the swoony summer Clara spent falling in love with Tucker is going to go on forever, and that she finds strength in their perfect relationship, and that even though they might face some adversity, they'll get through it together. Because how could they not?

I can't tell you that. In fact, I can't tell you anything, because if I did, it would give too much away. What I can tell you is what I liked and what I didn't like (to an extent).

What I liked: Jeffrey. Duh. There's more to that boy than we know, and I loved how realistic his reactions were. He's definitely an underutilized character, and I truly hope there's something big in store for him in book 3.

I loved the graduation speech.

I also really liked aspects of Christian's character, the "meadow", and I loved Angel Club. That's all I can say about that.

What I didn't like: Practically non-existent swoon. Cynthia Hand totally and completely drew me in with that feeling in Unearthly. There were butterflies and pounding heartbeats and just...you know what I'm talking about: the swoon. I didn't feel that in Hallowed, and because she's so good at giving it to us, I feel disappointed that it was lacking. Would I read it again? Yes, because I want to see if I missed something more than because I wanted to relive it. And I miss that.

I also didn't like Clara's flippant, self-absorbed attitude. She didn't grow as a character. She wasn't a good friend, daughter, sister, girlfriend, angel...she was just different. ::shrugs:: I don't get it.

I didn't like how I felt so disconnected to most of the characters throughout this book, including Clara. We saw some of what they were doing, but I rarely understood why.

I hate the feeling of absolute anticlimax I felt when I finished reading.

That's it?<------That was my reaction.

I hope that this wasn't too spoilery, and I hope that you don't think that means something that it doesn't. Because it probably doesn't mean what you think.

When it's all said and done, I am left feeling slightly bereft. I want to know what happens next, and that there was a true purpose for everything.