Kassiah

Kassiah

Falling Under

Falling Under - Gwen Hayes You know how I roll: 3.5 stars really, but I'm rounding up.

If I had never read Twilight, I'd probably love this book.

Not that it isn't original and amazing. Because it is. Gwen Hayes is a phenomenal writer--the scenes she paints and the world she has created is vivid and real. I love characters and the depth of emotion that they display.

What I don't love is that while there are several similarities to Twilight (going so far as the characters themselves making fun of "sparkly vampires"), it left out my favorite part of SMeyer's creation: the swoon.

There are lots of opportunities for their passion to make us weak in the knees, but I didn't feel it. And I wanted to. Bad. Haden is beautiful and right away, you know he's otherwordly. Theia is drawn to him almost inexplicably, and he is adamant about staying away from her. They share some moments, both in the "dream" world and the "real" world, but it just isn't enough for me. His passion is funneled through other characters, and he's hot and cold with her. I guess I understand why, but it doesn't leave me not wanting more--more from him, more from both of them really.
He knew all of the reasons he should leave her be--he knew it would end badly. If he touched her...God help them all if he touched her.

I don't know that those consequences were really explored. Aside from that though, it really is brilliant. From the very first line: Everything changed the night I saw the burning man fall from the sky., it's captivating, and I found myself on the edge of my seat several times. NGL, there were some instances that scared me. A lot.

If you are looking for a supernatural romance with more than a touch of the macabre, then I definitely say check it out. Just don't expect Haden to live up to Edward Cullen. Because really, there aren't many boys who can.