Kassiah

Kassiah

Hourglass

Hourglass - Myra McEntire Apparently spoilerishness is the only way I know how to roll...so proceed with caution.

Hourglass is a book that has a great idea behind it, but in my opinion falls short on the delivery.

For the most part, I liked Emerson as a character. I thought that most of the time, though, she acted like a petulant child. That would be fine in most cases--she is a teenager who has been through a lot! But she's dealing with a very grown-up situation and if we are expected to believe that she can handle it, I would expect a little more maturity on her part. The love triangle (or square?) aspect that McEntire seemed to be trying to build hardly made sense to me. If Emerson and Michael were two halves of a whole- how could there be anyone else? I don't get it. I felt like the "chemistry" with them was forced, or not explored enough. Maybe I wanted more making out lol. I also definitely think that Emerson's best friend, Lily, could have been a great character but wasn't utilized to her amazing potential. All in all, McEntire gave us glimpses into her characters' personalities, but she could have given us a lot more.

The setting was believable and I enjoyed the attention to detail. The actual story is a great idea, and I look forward to seeing what comes next with these characters, especially Kaleb. Overall I liked it, but I didn't love it.