Kassiah

Kassiah

The DUFF: (Designated Ugly Fat Friend)

The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend - Kody Keplinger So my beautiful friend Caren wrote a review about this book on our site and after a little prompting, I had to read. I mean, the high school genre is my fave. You probably already know that about me. Right from the beginning, The DUFF pulled me in.

I really loved this book. I loved the characters. I loved Bianca. I loved her friends. And omg I loved Wesley Rush.

**spoiler alert**

Suddenly, I felt Wesley’s breath hit the back of my neck.
He’d gotten up from the floor and slid up behind me without
me realizing it. His arms slid around my waist from behind,
his fingers undoing the button of my jeans before I could stop
him.
“… and Jess had her hopes up that we’d do something
fun…”
I couldn’t focus on a word Casey was saying as Wesley’s
hand slid beneath the waistband of my pants, his fingers
moving lower and lower.
I couldn’t say a word. I couldn’t tell him to stop or show any
reaction at all. If I did, Casey would know I wasn’t alone. But,
God, I could feel my whole body turning into a ball of fire.
Wesley was laughing against my neck, knowing he was
driving me crazy.
“… I just don’t understand what’s up with you.”
I bit my lip to keep from gasping as Wesley’s fingers
slipped to places that made my knees shake. I could feel the
smirk on his lips as they moved to my ear. Asshole. He was
trying to torture me. I couldn’t handle it much longer.
“Bianca, are you there?”
Wesley bit my earlobe and pushed my jeans even lower
with his free hand as the other continued to make me shiver.

Um...yeah.

You know how it felt when you were in high school and the guy you'd been crushing on notices you? Keplinger captures that perfectly. The descriptions and fun dialogue brought me right back to high school. Everyone's reactions were authentic and nothing felt contrived. There was enough backstory to everything without overloading with details.

Ngl though, there were a few things that I didn't love. There are a few plot developments that I think could have been explored more, namely with her dad. Although I realize this was a story about Bianca and her growth as a character, I felt like that was a loose end that didn't have to be tied up per se, but certainly addressed with a little more depth. Of course, I wanted more at the end *grin* Also, I don't know much about book covers, but I don't love this one and without Caren's recommendation, I never would have thought to read this.

I really did love it though and will definitely be checking out more of Keplinger's work :)