Kassiah

Kassiah

Life Before Legend (Legend, #0.5)

Life Before Legend (Legend, #0.5) - Marie Lu 1-1/2 stars. It was almost okay. But I didn't like it.

You know how it is when you read a book that you love. You want more of those characters: their thoughts, their lives, any snippet of their histories or futures that you can get your hands on. That's how I always feel--I want more.

Sometimes, though, more comes at a cost that I'm not willing to pay. I loved Legend so much. I loved June and Day and almost everything about it. So when I saw that there was going to be more about their lives before Legend, I was excited about it.

Then I saw the price.

And the number of pages that you get for that price.

Now, I know that I have been having issues with all of these novellas that have been popping up. I wrote all about it on my blog. But, I'm not trying to be on a soapbox here--I am genuinely concerned that we are going to continue to get charged for stuff that used to be free. I know publishers (and authors) have to make money, but this is exactly the kind of stuff that used to be offered up as outtakes and extra scenes on authors' websites. Stephenie Meyer did it. Cynthia Hand did it. Kristen Simmons is still doing it. All for free. /rant

With that being said, I'm sure you would rather me tell you about this story and not how I feel about novellas in general.

Marie Lu is an awesome writer and her characters display great depth of emotion in Legend. That fell flat for me here. First we have a chapter in Day's point of view. It's his first kiss. He is only 12 years old and kisses a girl that is described as mid-to late teens. It's kinda...icky to me, tbh.
A grin spreads on her face as she notices the way I'm checking her out.

This boy was hungrystarving and facing big trouble. idk, it was kind of unrealistic to me for him to even notice that in the predicament he was in.

The other chapter is June, preparing for her first day at Drake. She gets in to some trouble and vows to make a change. Her brother is as sweet as ever.
"Behind that brain of yours is a good heart, Junebug. I see it every day."

This novella did not provide any insight to these characters. The very brief history that it did provide was totally unnecessary. And of course, no part of this could be considered stand-alone.

Definitely not worth $3. (in case it goes on sale, it's not worth that price, either--unless it's free)

Some novellas are worth it. Skip this one.