Kassiah

Kassiah

Protecting What's His (Line of Duty, #1)

Protecting What's His (Line of Duty, #1) - Tessa Bailey 3-1/2 stars.

Ginger and her sister, Willa, flee to Chicago after Ginger takes her mother's purse filled with $50K. After the way her mother has treated them, Ginger feels like they deserve the new start the money can give them. She quickly runs in to neighbor and super hot Chicago Police Officer Derek Tyler. Ginger doesn't want to believe in love, but Derek won't let her give up on them without a fight.

This book read a lot like fic to me. Don't get me wrong, I love reading fanfiction (obvs), but the insta-loveattraction to me was a little far-fetched. Ginger wanted him but didn't want him. Derek wanted her to believe it was more than sex, but showed her that by...wanting sex. There are many similarities to Twific also in that she's got a pixie-like friend, he wants to stay away from her but can't (I believe there was even a line about it not being good for her to be around him), and there's even an "About three things, I'm certain" list. Oh, and there's also coming during virgin sex.

If this had been fic, I know I wouldn't have questioned why they couldn't stay apart from each other. Or why him talking soooo dirty turned me on. Or why I was willing to accept her accepting him bossing her around. As it is, though, I need more. I need to understand what it is that's motivating these characters and why it's okay for him to be an asshole.

With that being said, it was hot and had a very interesting storyline.
"I warned you that I'm having a difficult time being a gentleman. Should I assume you're provoking me on purpose?"

She wet her lips. "Is that what I'm doing?"

The need to kiss her inundated him, but he wouldn't give in to it until she asked. Derek rubbed the pad of his thumb across her plump bottom lip, pleased when she inhaled sharply but didn't pull away. "Let me be clear, Ginger, since you insist on talking in circles. I want you underneath me in my bed. I want to be buried inside you so deep that I have to remind you of your own name. And I want those motherfuckers leering at you from the other side of the bar to smell me on you for a week afterward."

I loved Ginger's sister, Willa, and like Caren, would have liked to have seen a little more from Evan, who was soooo sweet.

In short, this story was smokin' hot with a hot cop and a southern girl. Fans of wall sex, a little domination, and some spanking will definitely love it. The characters' questionable actions and seeming lack of genuine interest in each other made it fall a little for me, but it's definitely worth checking out. I can't wait to read more from this author.