Kassiah

Kassiah

Breaking (Escorted, #1.5)

Breaking (Escorted, #1.5) - Claire Kent 1-1/2 stars, but I'm rounding up.

I hesitate to rate this one because I didn't read Escorted. I'm not planning to read it, though, and I do feel like new readers could discern a lot of what happened with this couple before. It is listed as a standalone.

PhD student and former prostitute Xander comes home early from an archaeological dig, much to the surprise of fiancée Lori. Even though they have tons of hot sex, she knows he's holding something back, hiding something. Turns out he is. When we find out what it is, it seems anti-climactic. The big reveal might have meant more to readers of Escorted.

I love the cover of this book. But what's inside...not so much. The sex was okay, and Xander was okay. I liked the background information that we got on their road to coupledom. What I didn't like was Lori--she annoyed me so much! There's more than one instance that Xander obviously needed a moment alone (he even goes so far as to ask for a little privacy), but she refuses. She just grated on my nerves. I also didn't really understand why the two of them were together when it seemed like all she did was complain about him not dropping everything to be with her and he preferred to be at work rather than being with her. He said sweet things:
"I love you beyond the scope of existence, but I am not going to wear that hat."

In the end, I think actions speak louder than words for these two and I just didn't feel it. Meh.

Check out our Reviews on the Fictionators