Kassiah

Kassiah

Melting the Millionaire's Heart

Melting the Millionaire's Heart - Linda Morris My full review, including quotes, can be found on the fictionators.

This is a short read and a perfect way to spend a couple of hours. Kayla, a teacher at a private school that specializes in kids with special needs, is on her way to a fundraising event when she crashes her car into a ditch in the middle of a snowstorm. She gets out and starts walking toward her destination when Ryan Langford pulls up to her rescue. He brings her back to his parents' house and ...well, you know what happens. After all, this is a hot couple all alone in the middle of a blizzard.

Before they met, Kayla had a preconception of the type of man Ryan would be, pretentious and only looking for PR. Add to that the fact that she was recently burned by her ex, and her hesitance to trust anyone is totally expected. Ryan believed that any woman he would meet would be after his money, and after finding out that Kayla was en route to his house to help secure funding for her school, he decides not to tell her who he is. Throughout the course of the night, they share stories, roast hotdogs and s'mores by the fire, and fall into each other's arms.

Despite this story being predictable, and don't get me wrong--I wanted it to pan out the way it did--I love how authentic the characters felt. I connected with both of them and understood why each of them felt the way that they did. Their lack of communication about wanting more made sense to me, and I loved their story.

So what didn't I love? I had a hard time getting over the fact that Kayla, an apparently intelligent teacher, would rather venture out in the middle of a storm wearing a tiny skirt and fuck-me-boots than ask her friend to come and get her when she drives her car into a ditch. I realize that that the story couldn't have happened without him coming across her all alone in the woods, but I just couldn't get over that. Though the ending was hopeful, it felt rushed, and I would have wanted a little more about their future. There were a couple of cringe-worthy moments (like weiner), and I hated that they called it "making love"--I know, I'm ridiculous. I just think if you're going to hook up with a stranger you just met, call it what it is.

Melting the Millionaire's Heart was a quick, fun read, and I think you'll like it, too.