Kassiah

Kassiah

Lick: Stage Dive 1

Lick - Kylie Scott 3 stars. Or 2-1/2. Or 3. idfk.

I have to start off by saying that I'm pretty sure if this had been fic, I would have loved it. This makes me feel bad, but here's a newsflash: if your character isn't Edward Cullen (fic-Edward, at that), I don't know why you think I think it's okay to let him get away with everything. I don't. I need to have a reason to give a fuck about someone.

With that being said, I liked this story. I think.

Evelyn (Ev) wakes up in Vegas with a wicked hangover and a huge rock on her finger, courtesy of new husband/rock god David Ferris. What starts off as an ohmigodwhatamigoingtodo turns into something more, but not without a tumultuous uphill battle to get there.

David remembers everything about the events leading to their nuptials and is kind of hurt that Evelyn doesn't.
"Then give me something. Tell me what it was like between us that night."

He opened his mouth, then snapped it closed. "Nah. I don't want to dredge it all up, you know, water under the bridge or whatever. I just don't want you thinking that the whole night was some alcohol-fueled frenzy or something, that's all. Honestly, you didn't even seem that drunk most of it."

"David, you're hedging. Come on. It's not fair that you remember and I don't."

"No," he said, his voice hard, cold, in a way I hadn't heard it. He loomed over me, jaw set. "It's not fair that I remember and you don't, Evelyn."

Since neither of them is willing to sit down and actually communicate, the two make a plan to have their marriage annulled and go their separate ways. Unfortunately, the wedding wasn't a secret and the paps start to hound Ev once she gets home. David swoops in and rescues her and...then there's a bunch of crazy drama.

This is another book that could have used an editor. There are typos and story inconsistencies that a real editor would have caught. Notice I said real editor. It blows my mind with all of these books who thank their editors, when my 14 year old could have done a better job (and she has dyslexia).

I felt like the characters were childish. I suppose I would give some concession for David acting like a spoiled tantrum-throwing toddler since he is insanely rich and famous and gets whatever he wants all the time. Ev, not so much.

These two were constantly pushing each other's limits and then were shocked when they didn't know where they stood with one another. You know why they didn't know? There wasn't enough build up of these characters for us as readers to fall in love with them--how could they be expected to promise each other forever? Sure, there were some sweet moments, like "Can you feel what we're doing here? We're building something."

I'd just prefer to see and feel it than be told that they were building a relationship. There are other issues, like weird country music references and the fact that they keep walking out on each other. Oh, and that he needs to take a nap during what is arguably the most important conversation of his life. ::shrugs:: There's also this build up to a big show down that doesn't make sense to me. If her BFF was obsessed with his band, why wouldn't she have known who his ex was? Especially if she was the "reason" for the music before?

So, what did I like? Why the 3 stars? I'm a sucker for a bad boy, obvs, and I thought the idea of this story was good. I really loved David's bandmate, Mal, and I think I'm looking forward to the next book in the series. I liked the ending, except the part where she wants to keep her part-time job at a coffee shop. WTF?!? I understand why Christina said she wanted to see what I thought of this book because it's so hard to articulate the way I feel. It could have been amazing, but it wasn't. Here's hoping for more (Mal) in the next one.